Breakthrough New Orleans is a tuition-free, multi-year academic enrichment program for middle and high school students. Breakthrough students commit to a seven-year commitment, which consists of a middle school and high school program.
From 6th-8th grades, students participate in a six-week Summer Academy in June and July, and a year-round School Year Program, featuring monthly Saturday sessions from September through May.
Students engage in the core academic subjects of Writing, Math, Literature, and Science as well as electives, such as art and STEM activities. The Breakthrough experience also extends beyond the 8th grade with our High School Program. In 9th grade, students participate in their last summer academy, which prepares them with the academic and social skills to transition to high school.
During the school year, Breakthrough students participate in workshops on topics, such as managing stress, time management, and leadership. Additionally, they engage in college and career preparatory activities (ACT classes, college visits, dual enrollment courses, essay writing, resumes, etc.).
They also receive support in applying to summer programs, internships, employment, and volunteer opportunities.
Who are Breakthrough Students?
Guided by our Core Values, Breakthrough students are scholars and leaders in their schools, neighborhoods, and communities.
- Breakthrough students demonstrate SCHOLARSHIP by striving for academic achievement both inside and outside the classroom.
- Breakthrough students demonstrate INTEGRITY by being honest and taking responsibility for their actions.
- Breakthrough students demonstrate ADVOCACY by standing up for what is right and promoting positive change.
- Breakthrough students demonstrate COMPASSION by respecting and supporting others, regardless of similarities or differences.
- Breakthrough students demonstrate RESOLVE by committing to doing their best and pursuing excellence no matter what obstacles they face.
Who Can Apply?
Any student currently enrolled in 5th grade in NOLA Public Schools can apply to be a Breakthrough student. Applicants must demonstrate high academic potential through a rigorous application and interview process, submission of test scores and report cards, and teacher recommendations.
Click here to apply. (Application Due: Friday, February 23, 2024)