As stated in the program’s mission, Breakthrough New Orleans serves two different populations–students from NOLA Public Schools as well as high school and college-aged teachers and volunteers. Each can anticipate a rigorous but positive, life-changing experience by participating in the program.
IN GENERAL, BTNOLA:
- Provides rigorous programming for 6 weeks during the summer and throughout the school year (monthly Saturday sessions) to enrich the academic skill set of Breakthrough students.
- Works with families to determine the best-fit middle and high school placement.
- Supports high school students through college and career counseling, ACT preparation courses, and placement in internships, volunteer opportunities, and other experiential activities.
- Trains and supports high school and college-aged students as classroom teachers, mentors, and event planners.
- Promotes educational advocacy.