Breakthrough New Orleans is a tuition-free, multi-year college-preparatory program for middle and high school students. Breakthrough students commit to three full years, in grades 6-8, in our intensive Middle School Program. Our program entails a six-week Summer Academy in June and July, and a year-round School Year Program, featuring weekly School-After-School and monthly Saturday School sessions from September through May.
The Breakthrough experience also extends past the 8th grade, thanks to the College Readiness Initiative, which helps our students transition into high school. Through this component, Breakthrough alums receive academic support throughout their high school experience via tutoring, SAT and ACT test prep, and assistance in selecting the right four-year college to suit their needs.
Who are Breakthrough Students?
Guided by our Core Values, Breakthrough students are scholars and leaders in their schools, neighborhoods, and communities.
- Breakthrough students demonstrate SCHOLARSHIP by always striving for academic achievement both inside and outside the classroom.
- Breakthrough students demonstrate INTEGRITY by always being honest and taking responsibility for their actions.
- Breakthrough students demonstrate ADVOCACY by always standing up for what is right and promoting positive change.
- Breakthrough students demonstrate COMPASSION by always respecting and supporting others, regardless of similarities or differences.
- Breakthrough students demonstrate RESOLVE by always committing to doing their best and pursuing excellence no matter what obstacles they face.
Breakthrough Student Success
Breakthrough students go on to top public, charter, private, and parochial high schools all over New Orleans. Many students receive generous financial aid awards and/or scholarships. Throughout high school, Breakthrough students stay connected to the program throughout high school through ongoing academic support, test prep services, and volunteer and internship opportunities. Breakthrough student alumni have advanced into fields such as engineering and medicine after graduating from colleges and universities including Washington University in St. Louis, Emory University (Atlanta, GA), Tulane University (New Orleans, LA), and Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge).
Who Can Apply?
Any student currently enrolled in 5th grade in public and charter schools in Orleans parish can apply to be a Breakthrough student. Applicants must demonstrate high academic potential, through a rigorous application and interview process, submission of test scores and report cards, and teacher recommendations. Click here to download an application. (Application Due: January 27, 2017)
Back to top